- December 21, 2012
- Posted by: Sahil Mehta
- Category: Applying, Direct Medical School
Getting into a medical school from high school is a competitive process. These so called “direct medical programs” or “BS/MD programs” have gotten more and more competitive every year. High achieving high schoolers who want to go to medical school directly from high school are numerous and the spots in these programs are few and far between. But you should not lose hope! There is a lot of steps you can take in order to secure an acceptance into medical school from high school:
- Plan early: It is imperative to start planning as early as possible if this is the route you want to take. In the 9th, 10th and 11th grades, you need to be shadowing, volunteering, researching, etc all in order to show direct medical programs you are committed to medicine
- Really explore medicine: make sure medicine is right for you. Get as much clinical experience as possible. Talk to as many physicians and residents as you can. You will need to show medical schools that you understand medicine and that you really want to do this (after all, not many high schoolers know what they want to major in, much less have a career in).
- Be organized: applying to these medical school directly from high school will require you to have your letters of recommendations in to multiple schools, have multiple essays ready, use the common application, interview, etc. There are a lot of steps! It’s important to be as organized as possible in going through them.
- Get help: you won’t be able to do this alone. Get help from someone who has been through the direct BS/MD process before. Pick their brains for what these schools are looking for, how you can separate yourself and how you can secure your acceptance. Older friends are great resources, as are the advisors at MedSchoolCoach.
- Do really, really well in school: this is a given. You must have near perfect grades in order to be in the conversation for these programs! Make sure you ace your classes.
These are just some tips to get you started, but there are many more things you should consider. Look around to see what MedSchoolCoach can offer you in terms of improving your application both early in the process with our Direct BS/MD Game Planning Sessions and later on with our Complete Package.
[notice type=”success” title=”Help with your direct medical application ” tag=”h4″]Find out how MedSchoolCoach can help you through the direct medical school application process. We have a great track record if success in getting students into medical school straight from high school.