Matthew Winterton, MD
- Complete application help
- Essay editing
- Residency planning
- BS, Brigham Young University
- MD, University of Pennsylvania
- Internship, Stanford University
- Residency, University of Pennsylvania
Matthew graduated magna cum laude from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah with a BS in Biochemistry, where he was heavily involved in basic science research investigating mouse models of bone marrow transplantation at the National Institutes of Health and characterizing the ultrastructural properties of HIV, projects which earned him distinction as a 2010 Barry M. Goldwater Scholar and 2011 Tylenol Future Care Scholar. During his undergraduate years, he ventured to serve as a volunteer representative/missionary for his church in Madagascar, where he became fluent in the local Malagasy language. After returning from Madagascar, Matthew became influential in the linguistics community, lecturing on the Malagasy language for over 10 years at two different universities and authoring several scholarly textbooks and dictionaries on the language. Matthew attended medical school at The University of Pennsylvania, initially as a combined degree MD/PhD student. He completed his internship at Stanford University in General Surgery, then at the University of Pennsylvania in Orthopaedic Surgery. Matthew has been heavily involved in medical student education throughout and currently runs a nonprofit institution in Madagascar where he sends medical students abroad for research and clinical experiences, teaches surgery, and tries to improve perioperative management and outcomes.
Dr. Winterton is an orthopaedic surgeon and CEO/Founder of MadaHealth, Inc., and NGO improving surgical and perioperative outcomes in Madagascar.
meet more of the team
- Dr. Sarkar was part of the admissions committee at Columbia University and an interviewer at NJMSDr. Marinelli served on the University of California, Irvine Admissions CommitteeDr. Aneja was a member of the Yale School of Medicine Admissions CommitteeDr. Rao served as a member of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine admission committee.Dr. Munjuluri served on the admissions committee at UCSF PRIME and served as Director of College Counseling at Sacramento High SchoolDr. Simon Bababeygy served on Stanford's Admissions Committee for 4 yearsDr. Hajighasemi is the founder of DocOssareh, YouTubes premier premed channel. He served on the admissions committee at UC Irvine School of Medicine.Dr. Lipsit served on the admissions committee at VCUDr. Ho was an admissions committee member at University of California, DavisDr. Katzen was on the admissions committee member at George Washington University